Drag Becomes Him provides an intimate glimpse inside the life of internationally acclaimed drag performer Jinkx Monsoon. This raw and affectionate film follows the passionate pursuits that transformed a working class boy in a struggling family to an illustrious performer on a global stage.
Influenced by a grandmother with charm school polish, Jerick Hoffer learned to fuse the sophistication of a southern belle with the crass behavior of a working girl. Jinkx Monsoon has what RuPaul describes as “a stage left, off center kind of quality.”
Drag Becomes Him follows Jinkx’s trajectory from a small stage in Portland, Oregon through a growing career in Seattle to the relinquishing of the crown one year after winning RuPaul’s Drag Race.
Expanded from the acclaimed five-part web series of the same name, this cherished portrayal of Jinkx Monsoon peels back the layers on one of the brightest stars on the drag circuit.
Drag Becomes Him is directed by Alex Berry and produced by Basil Shadid and Dual Power Productions.
Jerick Hoffer (a.k.a., Jinkx Monsoon) is a seasoned Portland-born entertainer and graduate of Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle. As early as 2006, he appeared as the lead dancer in the world’s largest drag queen chorus line, which made the Guinness Book of World Records. By 2012, he had advanced to roles in Seattle theatres, playing Moritz in Spring Awakening (Balagan Theatre) and Angel in RENT (5th Avenue Theatre). After starring in the critically acclaimed original run of Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Balagan Theatre / Seattle Theatre Group), Hoffer’s winning run on RuPaul’s Drag Race began airing on LOGO TV. As “America’s Next Drag Superstar,” Hoffer has performed for adoring fans across the country and around the world. His first full-length studio album, ‘The Inevitable Album” is available on iTunes. Jerick also created “The Vaudevillians” with Cornish classmate Richard Andriessen and the two have performed as duo “Kitty Witless” and “Dr. Dan Von Dandy” in the surreal, genre bending show to sold out audiences around the world including New York City, Provincetown, Europe, Australia and several ships at sea.
• April 29, 2015: Cinerama Theater – Seattle, Washington. USA
• June 13, 2015: Out East Film Festival – Halifax, Canada
• June 26, 2015: Durban Gay & Lesbian Film Festival – Closing Night – Durban, South Africa
• July 10, 2015: QFlix – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. USA
• July 15, 2015: Asterisco – Buenos Aires, Argentina
• July 17, 2015: OutFest – Los Angeles, California. USA
• July 18, 2015: Asterisco – Buenos Aires, Argentina
• July 18-19, 2015: Special Online Screening – Worldwide
• “Inside Out Festival: Drag Becomes Him” – Novella, May 28, 2015
• “Ten Not-To-Be-Missed Events Happening During The Toronto LGBT Film Festival” – Passport, May 25, 2015
• “Our Top Picks: Inside Out Film Fest 2015” – She Does The City, May 25, 2015
• “Top Five Picks at Toronto’s Inside Out LGBT Film Festival” – The Buzz, May 25, 2015
• “What not to miss at Inside Out 2015” – Daily Extra, May 19, 2015
• “10 Frames: Drag Becomes Him Premiere” – The Stranger, May 3, 2015
• “Overheard at the World Premiere of Jinkx Monsoon’s Excellent Documentary Drag Becomes Him” – The Stranger, May 1, 2015
• “The Jinkx Monsoon Movie, “Drag Becomes Him” Splashes Big at Cinerama World Premiere!” – Seattle Gay Scene, May 1, 2015
• “Jinkx Monsoon Spills ALL the T on Upcoming Documentary ‘Drag Becomes Him’” – Dragaholic, April 6, 2015
• “It’s Happening: The Jinkx Monsoon Documentary “Drag Becomes Him” To World Premiere At Cinerama On April 29!!!” – Seattle Gay Scene, March 16, 2015
Alex Berry is a filmmaker living in Seattle. In addition to the original Drag Becomes Him web mini-series, Berry has made several music videos, as well as online commercials for local companies, fashion designers, and dance clubs. His work, described as “engrossing” and “beautifully filmed,” has also appeared on The Huffington Post, NewNowNext and City Arts.
Basil is an award-winning producer, screenwriter, and camera operator whose film credits include the 2007 Academy Award nominated ‘Iraq In Fragments’, the Emmy winning ‘Girls On The Wall’, and the Seattle-produced ‘Heart Breaks Open’. He co-authored ‘Screenwriter’s Toolkit: 101 Writing Exercises’, has traveled thousands of miles on freight trains across the United States, and loves to swim in open-water lakes in the winter in Washington State.
“Beauty is life when life unveils her holy face.”- Kahlil Gibran
Dual Power Productions is an entertainment company in Seattle, Washington. We produce media that promotes understanding, critical thinking, personal development, and social change. Our work can be serious, fun, thought-provoking, educational, and absurd. We use a multi-faceted transmedia approach to getting the message out.
What’s the message? In the words of Alice Walker, “Surely the earth can be saved by all the people who insist on love.” In the words of Utah Phillips, “You’ve got to mess with people!”
Drag Becomes Him would be incomplete without the support of our Executive Producers Lara and Jeff Sanderson. We’d also like to thank these people for generously donating to our Kickstarter campaign: Alexander R Schajter, Amy Rodman, Ande Harwood, Arlene Guerrero Ma Suy, Ben Cunning, Bianca Rawlings, Brooke Higgins, Cali Beintema, Cameron Munro, Charlotte, Christina Ravnholt, David Whisler, Ellen Brodsky, Emberley Neidhardt, Er Marie, Erin Harvey, Gabriela Ledezma, Helen Flight, Helene Lustan, Jasmin Ortiz-Low,